Saturday 26 March 2022

The Colour and The Shape

On 24 January 2000 my brother Mark and I saw the Foo Fighters on their 'There is Nothing Left to Lose' tour at the Metro theatre in Sydney. The Metro is a great venue for gigs, small enough that fans can get up close to the stage, and large enough to enjoy the atmosphere of a like-minded crowd. Mark and I would rush down to the stage front to thrash and head-bang to our favourite songs, then retreat to the back to catch our breath, before lunging into the crowd once more. It was an awesome concert, solidifying my love of the Foo Fighters, and creating a memory of an incredible shared experience with my brother.

It was no surprise then, that Mark gave me Dave Grohl's The Storyteller (2021) for Christmas - a perfect gift. Subtitled 'Tales of Life and Music' Grohl tells stories about his lifelong passion for music from his childhood, through to his days with Scream, Nirvana, the Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures. 

To enhance my reading experience, I downloaded the audiobook so Grohl could tell his stories in his own voice as I read along. His storytelling was rich and warm, adding a depth to the words on the page. It also made him seem more personable and familiar, like an old friend sharing stories.

The Storyteller is a fascinating book.  Grohl shared anecdotes about aspects of his life, tales from tours and recording studios, but never resorts to gossip. This is not a behind-the-scenes, tell-all. Rather, it is a collection of vignettes from a most extraordinary life, told with humour, empathy, humility and intelligence. 

For me, The Storyteller, instantly threw me back to my past. The music Grohl loved and the bands he toured with, was the soundtrack of my life. I spent much of the nineties attending Lollapalooza and various other gigs and festivals, attending live music events wherever I could - Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rage Against the Machine and on and on... It was such an incredible period in music.

In one chapter he recalls a tour with Scream in June 1990 which included 'two of my favourite cities on earth, Montreal and Toronto' and describes how much he loves travelling in Canada. As a Canadian, I beamed with pride reading his thoughts on my homeland: 'Because, let's face it, Canadians are fucking awesome. Laid-back, genuine, and funny as all hell. I defy anyone to walk one city block without making a fast friend in Canada' (p99). True!

What comes through in the book is how deep Grohl's love of music is. Of course, he is an incredible artist, but beyond that he is a mega fan. He shared memories of collaborations and experiences with Tom Petty, Paul McCartney, Joan Jett, AC/DC and many other legends he has shared a stage or studio with - a who's-who of music in the past thirty years. He shares many moments where he cannot believe he is in the presence of a legendary musician for whom he has such admiration. 

But beyond music is family. Grohl talks with great pride about being a father to his three daughters. He is incredibly close with his ever-supportive mother, who keeps him grounded. He has deep friendships, many from childhood, and he values these relationships tightly.  It is his family and friends that have kept him humble and down-to-earth.

You don't have to be a fan of Dave Grohl's music to enjoy The Storyteller, but I would defy anyone to come away from reading this book without becoming a fan of the man himself. 



ADDENDUM
A few hours after I posted this review, Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins died in Bogata Columbia, where the band was touring. Hawkins, age 50, had been with the band for 25 years. In The Storyteller, Dave Grohl describes Hawkins as 'my brother from another mother, my best friend, a man for whom I would take a bullet'. They were 'an unstoppable duo, onstage and off, in pursuit of any and all adventure we can find'. My heart breaks for Dave, the band, and the Hawkins family. He was a remarkable talent.