Sunday 1 January 2023

Planning for 2023

I end the year with a stack of books on my 'To Be Read' Pile including:

I always promise I won't buy any more books until I have read the ones I already have... but that promise never lasts long! I am hoping to make a dent in this pile though, as I am looking forward to each one, and I want to get a start on my reading before award longlists are announced from March.

Things are getting back to normal (whatever that means!). I am finally planning to travel overseas again after far too long at home. At this stage the plan is to explore southern Italy and Greece, so I will likely look out some books that will inspire my adventures. Recommendations welcome!

I am looking forward to a number of new books due to be published in 2023, including works by: Eleanor Catton (Birnam Wood), Rebecca Makkai (I Have Some Questions For You), Margaret Atwood (Old Babes in the Woods), Curtis Sittenfeld (Romantic Comedy), Colson Whitehead (Crook Manifesto), Samantha Irby (Quietly Hostile), Emma Cline (The Guest), Brett Eason Ellis (The Shards), Emma Donoghue (Learned by Heart), Max Porter (Shy), and many more. While I won't get to all of them this year, I have preordered many from my library.

For the past few years I have consistently been able to read at least 30 books a year. While I could push myself by setting a higher goal, I like my 30 book plan. However I will continue to explore new authors, genres and subject matters. To diversify my reading and to challenge myself to read more broadly, I have updated my annual checklist to add some fun to my reading.

20th century
modern classic

Debut 
novel

First Nations
Author/Issues 
Poetry 
collection
Biography
or memoir
19th century
classic

Retelling of 
another story

Protagonist
is over 50

Short story
collection

Essay
collection

Pre-19th 
century classic

Novel in 
translation

LGBTQIA+
Author/Issues

Women's prize
longlister

Non-fiction
bestseller

Book on the 
1001 list


By a favourite
author


Novella in 
November


Australian 
literary prize
longlister

Current 
affairs/politics


Published 
in 2023

New to me
author

Book in my
To Be Read pile

Booker prize
longlister

Non-fiction
history


Last year I focussed mainly on fiction. This year I want to add more non-fiction to my list, but also get back to the classics and include other forms of writing - poetry, drama, essay, short stories - into the mix. I had thought about focussing on a particular author this year (who? Neville Shute? Robertson Davies? Graham Greene? Hilary Mantel?) and reading all of their works. But I don't think that will work for me as I have too many books I want to read and not enough time to read them all!

Happy reading everyone!