Dervla McTiernan is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors. Her Cormac Reilly crime series showcased her ability to craft an atmospheric crime drama with depth, heart and realistic characters. So any book she writes is an automatic pre-order as I know it is going to be really good.
Her latest novel is Three Reasons for Revenge (2026) - her first set in Australia - and I hope it is the beginning of a new series. The main character is Detective Sergeant Judith Lee, a savvy Melbourne based police officer, with a complex past. The story starts with a young woman coming into the police station and asking for Judith. She tells Judith that she has been assaulted by a psychologist, Robert Walker. Judith recalls an almost identical allegation against Walker a decade earlier, but there was insufficient evidence at that time to actively pursue the matter. Then a package arrives at the Walker home from an anonymous sender which sets in motion a series of events which will end in murder. As more packages arrive for seemingly unconnected recipients, Judith has to race against time to figure out the links and capture the sender before more people get hurt.Judith Lee is a wonderful character. She is tough, smart and willing to take risks, often circumventing police procedure to get a result. Her friendship with Katy and her relationship with her boss and mentor Rocky is well formed. There is also a compelling back story and a subplot of police corruption which adds to the narrative.
McTiernan is an expert at pacing and plotting, building layers of the story to keep the reader engaged and guessing to the end. I highly recommend this novel to anyone looking for a gripping crime thriller.I had the pleasure of hearing McTiernan speak about this book, and her career, at the 2026 Sydney Writers' Festival. She spoke lovingly about Judith and I get the feeling she isn't finished with this character! McTiernan was so approachable, kind and delightful. It was lovely to meet her, have a copy of Three Reasons for Revenge signed, and grab a photo with her. I still have one more book of hers to read (What Happened to Nina?) and look forward to reading it and whatever McTiernan comes up with next.
My reviews of other novels by Dervla McTiernan are available on this blog:

