The New York Times has just released a list of the best thrillers of the 21st century, compiled by ballots sent to writers, librarians, critics, editors and influencers. From this ballot they have compiled the top fifty. As a lover of thrillers and a lover of lists, this is right up my alley. Let's check it out and see whether it resonates.
- 50. Lisa Jewell - None of This is True (2023)
- 49. Anthony Horowitz - Magpie Murders (2017)
- 48. Chris Whitaker - All the Colors of the Dark (2024)
- 47. Ashley Audrain - The Push (2021)
- 46. S J Watson - Before I Go to Sleep (2011)
- 45. Silvia Moreno-Garcia - Mexican Gothic (2020)
- 44. Jennifer Hillier - Jar of Hearts (2018)
- 43. Richard Price - Lush Life (2008)
- 42. Caroline Kepnes - You (2014)
- 41. Harlan Coben - Tell No One (2001)
- 40. Blake Crouch - Dark Matter (2016)
- 39. Sarah Waters - Fingersmith (2002)
- 38. Terry Hayes - I Am Pilgrim (2014)
- 37. Steph Cha - Your House Will Pay (2019)
- 36. Alex Michaelides - The Silent Patient (2019)
- 35. S A Cosby - All the Sinners Bleed (2023)
- 34. Tana French - The Likeness (2008)
- 33. Tana French - The Witch Elm (2018)
- 32. Danya Kukafa - Notes on an Execution (2022)
- 31. William Landay - Defending Jacob (2012)
- 30. Việt Thanh Nguyễn - The Sympathizer (2015)
- 29. Jean Hangg Korelitz - The Plot (2021)
- 28. Leila Slimani - The Perfect Nanny (2018)
- 27. Liane Moriarty – Big Little Lies (2014)
- 26. Dan Brown – The Da Vinci Code (2003)
- 25. Daniel Woodrell – Winter’s Bone (2006)
- 24. Jane Harper – The Dry (2017)
- 23. Donna Tartt – The Goldfinch (2013)
- 22. John Le Carre – The Constant Gardener (2001)
- 21. Emma Donoghue – Room (2010)
- 20. Tana French – Broken Harbor (2012)
- 19. Gillian Flynn – Sharp Objects (2006)
- 18. Stephen King – 11/22/63 (2011)
- 17. Dennis Lehane – Shutter Island (2003)
- 16. Michael Connelly – The Lincoln Lawyer (2005)
- 15. Megan Abbott – Dare Me (2012)
- 14. Lionel Shriver – We Need to Talk About Kevin (2003)
- 13. Kate Atkinson – Case Histories (2004)
- 12. Paula Hawkins – The Girl on the Train (2015)
- 11. S A Cosby – Blacktop Wasteland (2020)
- 10. Attica Locke – Bluebird, Bluebird (2017)
- 9. Mick Herron – Slow Horses (2010)
- 8. S A Cosby – Razorblade Tears (2021)
- 7. Liz Moore – The God of the Woods (2024)
- 6. Oyinkan Braithwaite – My Sister, The Serial Killer (2018)
- 5. Cormac McCarthy – No Country for Old Men (2005)
- 4. Steig Larsson – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2008)
- 3. Tana French – In the Woods (2007)
- 2. Dennis Lehane – Mystic River (2001)
- 1. Gillian Flynn – Gone Girl (2012)
This is a fascinating list. I have read 15 of the titles and have many more in my personal library. There are lots of novels on this list that I have seen the film/TV adaptations for (Crouch, Moriarty, Donoghue, Lehane, Connelly) and several novels that I have not heard of (Slimani, Kukafa, Audrian, Hillier). I had thought we would see novels by Karin Slaughter, Freida McFadden, Lee Child, Robert Harris, Louise Penny, Ruth Ware and other writers who routinely land on bestseller lists.
I was a bit surprised that Tana French is listed so many times. She is a brilliant author (I loved her Searcher, Hunter, Keeper series) and I have the novels listed here (the Dublin Murder series) ready to read. So this is a timely reminder to start that series.
I am delighted to see SA Cosby listed three times for his amazing thrillers. I have only read one (All the Sinners Bleed) but I have the others so will get on to those when I can.
If I were to add to this list, I would include some of my favourites of the genre:
- Graeme Macrae Burnet - His Bloody Project (2015)
- Eleanor Catton - Birnam Wood (2023)
- Garry Disher - Bitter Wash Road (2013)
- Percival Everett - The Trees (2021)
- Robert Galbraith - The Cuckoo's Calling (2013)
- Chris Hammer - Scrublands (2018)
- Robert Harris - Conclave (2016)
- Emily Maguire - An Isolated Incident (2016)
- Charlotte McConaghy - Wild Dark Shore (2025)
- Ian McGuire - The North Water (2016)
- Dervla McTiernan - The Ruin (2018)
- Matthew Spencer - Dark River (2022)




