Friday, 7 August 2026

The NYT 50 Best Thrillers of the 21st Century

The New York Times has just released a list of the best thrillers of the 21st century, compiled by ballots sent to writers, librarians, critics, editors and influencers. From this ballot they have compiled the top fifty. As a lover of thrillers and a lover of lists, this is right up my alley. Let's check it out and see whether it resonates. 

Bold = read. Linked = reviewed on this blog.

This is a fascinating list. I have read 15 of the titles and have many more in my personal library. There are lots of novels on this list that I have seen the film/TV adaptations for (Crouch, Moriarty, Donoghue, Lehane, Connelly) and several novels that I have not heard of (Slimani, Kukafa, Audrian, Hillier).  I had thought we would see novels by Karin Slaughter, Freida McFadden, Lee Child, Robert Harris, Louise Penny, Ruth Ware and other writers who routinely land on bestseller lists.

I was a bit surprised that Tana French is listed so many times. She is a brilliant author (I loved her Searcher, Hunter, Keeper series) and I have the novels listed here (the Dublin Murder series) ready to read. So this is a timely reminder to start that series.

I am delighted to see SA Cosby listed three times for his amazing thrillers. I have only read one (All the Sinners Bleed) but I have the others so will get on to those when I can.

If I were to add to this list, I would include some of my favourites of the genre:

This list got me thinking about thrillers as a genre. So often crime or mystery novels (which I read a lot of) are put together as 'crime thrillers'. Some crime novels are slow burns which are more focussed on solving a mystery - something has happened and police/detectives have to figure out why. Thrillers in my mind are more action packed page-turners but do not necessarily involve a crime. There is a tension as something is coming and there is a sense of threat, danger or dread. Harris' Conclave is a good example of this - high stakes action, lots of suspense - a political/religious thriller. Likewise, Catton's Birnam Wood is an eco-thriller. I often read thrillers as a palate cleanser between heavier works of fiction.