The August selection in the 2026 Read Christie Challenge is By the Pricking of My Thumbs (1968) in the category of 'beloved duo'. This is the fourth novel featuring Agatha Christie's husband and wife detective team Tommy and Tuppence Beresford.
When Tuppence doesn't return home as expected, Tommy gets worries and sets out to find her. I won't say more about the plot to avoid spoilers. But suffice it to say there is a lot of superfluous dialogue and not a lot of mystery.
I struggled with this novel. I have never been a big fan of Tommy and Tuppence, and this book reinforced my dislike of the pair. While the story starts well, it meanders and plods along. There are a handful of clues, and a mild sense of foreboding, but despite all the mystery tropes (creepy house, unsolved historical murders) this an unthrilling thriller.
My reviews of other Agatha Christie novels are available on this blog:
Murder on the Links (1923) Murder on the Orient Express (1934) The Body in the Library (1942)
The Labours of Hercules (1947)
The Rose and the Yew Tree (1948)
Mrs McGinty's Dead (1952)
A Caribbean Mystery (1964)