Saturday 2 May 2020

The Book of Harlem

Just before the libraries were closed, I borrowed Zora Neale Hurston's collection of stories Hitting a Straight Lick with a Crooked Stick (2020). I was keen to get my hands on this new release as it has been many years since I last read Hurston.

I usually don't read introductions to books until after I have read the main text. Too often I find introductions serve as pretentious spoilers. I prefer to read, reflect and then read the introduction to see if there was something I missed. But for Straight Lick I began with the forward by Tayari Jones and Genevieve West's brilliant introduction which explained the context in which these stories were written and the ways in which Hurston explored race, gender and class through her narratives.

Hurston published her first short story in 1921, finding her place in the Harlem Renaissance alongside Langston Hughes, Claude McKay and other writers and poets. This collection brings together Hurston's early work and, by presenting her stories in chronological order, readers can see how she honed her craft as her writing evolved.

Her first story, 'John Reddington Goes to Sea' was magnificent. John wants to explore the world, while his father wants him to stay home and marry a local girl. The conflict between the two men is heartfelt, earnest and loving. Hurston's writing took a little time to get used to as she writes dialogue so you can hear the voice of the speaker ('Ah keep telling yur, woman, 'taint so') so reading aloud helps to get the cadence right. Her later stories like 'The Book of Harlem', written in the style of biblical verse, show the maturity and playfulness of her writing talents.

Many of the stories depict the complexities of romantic relationships, domestic abuse, traditional gender roles and infidelity. In ''The Conversion of Sam', 'Under the Bridge', 'Spunk', 'Sweat' and others Hurston is sharp in her portrayal of characters and I have a particular fondness for the strong women she creates.

I really wanted to like this book. While I enjoyed some of the stories, on the whole I was disappointed. There were some tales I struggled to get through and at one stage I considered giving up, but ultimately I am glad I persevered.