Saturday 23 October 2021

I Will Always Love You

 Singer, songwriter, humanitarian, philanthropist, icon.  I love Dolly Parton! 

As a child I would watch with wide-eyed wonder at Dolly Parton singing on television. I clearly remember her appearances with The Muppets, and adored her sparkle and style.  In my early twenties, I went to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee to see her birthplace and Dollywood theme park. As an adult I grew to admire Parton for her advocacy and philanthropy - her support of HIV/AIDS charities, her Imagination Library literacy program, her campaigns against animal cruelty, and more recently her donations to support COVID vaccination research.

Some people dismiss Dolly Parton as a 'dumb blonde'. They can't see past her petite frame, blonde hair, ample bosom and her down-home, aw-shucks country voice. But she is a force to be reckoned with. She is a smart, savvy, tough and an incredibly gifted and prolific artist. 

Parton has published a wonderful coffee-table book called Songteller - My Life in Lyrics (2020). It is part memoir and part career catalogue, spanning sixty years of country music. It features song lyrics from over 150 of her songs, along with the stories behind them. Throughout the glossy pages are photographs of Dolly, her co-stars and collaborators, and artefacts and ephemera from her career. 

After my first read through, I downloaded the audiobook in which Dolly tells her story with clips from many songs. This really brought the book to life. The audiobook amplified her charisma, talents and wit, and gave the reader an enhanced, immersive experience. Plus, it reminded me of how many wonderful songs she had written.

Through her life and lyrics in Songteller, we learn of Dolly's impoverished upbringing in Pigeon Forge, her family hardship, her love for her husband of 50+ years, her business acumen, and the challenges she endured throughout her personal and professional life. She talks about the inspirations behind her most famous songs, her experiences in the film industry and her difficult creative partnership with Porter Wagonner. 

As a songwriter, Dolly doesn't shy away from writing about difficult topics - addiction, domestic violence, poverty, infidelity - with empathy and understanding. She knows how to reach the hearts of listeners with a memorable melody and meaningful lyrics.  

I really enjoyed Songteller and am thankful for the re-introduction to so many Parton songs. It is a big, beautiful book to have and flick through and I strongly recommend the audiobook* as an accompaniment. While Dolly Parton fans will get a lot out of it (and come away loving her even more!), I think it would be of benefit to young writers and musicians of all kinds to gain an understanding of the highs and lows of creative professions.  

Will leave you with this... Dolly Parton on a date with Kermit the Frog from an episode of The Dolly Show (1987-1988). Delightful!


P.S. A huge thank you to my brother for giving me Songteller - you know me so well!

*Note - the audiobook is not a word-for-word reading of the book. It seems more like a podcast or interview with Dolly Parton, but it greatly enhances the experience.