Sunday 2 January 2022

Planning for 2022

After two years of a pandemic, it seems a little foolish to make plans for anything right now. With record high COVID cases, mounting pressure on the health system, leaders who are only interested in the coming election, the immediate future looks bleak. 

There is so much happening that is outside my control, I can only plan for what I can control - like my reading. But I do like to be agile enough to respond to whatever comes my way and go wherever my moods and interests take me.

I am looking forward to a number of new books due to be published in 2022, including:

  • Hanya Yanagihara - To Paradise (January)
  • Margaret Atwood - Burning Questions (February)
  • Jane Caro - The Mother (March)
  • Wendy McCarthy - Don't be too polite, girls (March)
  • Jennifer Egan - The Candy House (April)
  • Douglas Stuart - Young Mungo (April)
  • Emily St John Mandel - Sea of Tranquility (April)
  • Julian Barnes - Elizabeth Finch (April)
  • Kate Grenville - Elizabeth Macarthur's Letters (April)
  • Dervla McTiernan - The Murder Rule (May)
  • Geraldine Brooks - Horse (June)
  • Zadie Smith - The Fraud (September)
  • Anna Funder - Wifedom (September)
  • David Marr - A Family Business (November)
  • Samantha Maiden - Open Secrets (TBC)
  • Britney Higgins - memoir (TBC)

While I won't get to all of them this year, I have preordered many from my library.

I seem to consistently be able to read 30 books each year, but given the uncertainty this pandemic brings and the impact it will have on my workload, I do not want to increase the volume. Instead I will continue to explore new authors, genres and subject matters. To diversify my reading and to challenge myself to read more fiction, I have created a new checklist to add some fun to my reading.

20th century
modern classic

Retelling of
another story

Novel in
translation

Poetry 
collection

Women's prize
longlister

First Nations
Author/Issues

Essay
collection

New to me
author

Biography
or memoir

Book on the
1001 list

Debut
novel

19th century
classic

Published 
in 2022

By a favourite
author

Non-fiction
bestseller

Short story
collection

Australian 
literary prize
longlister

Current
affairs/politics

Protagonist
is over 50

LGBTIQ+
Author/Issues

Pre-19th 
century classic
Non-fiction
history
Book in my
To Be Read pile
Booker prize
longlister
Novella in 
November

New categories added this year include:
  • First Nations Author/Issues
  • LGBTIQ+ Author/Issues
  • Non-fiction History
  • Novella in November
  • 20th Century Classic
  • By a favourite author
In adding these categories, I have removed ones that involved various settings (e.g. wartime, sea) or themes (e.g. coming of age). 

Last year I focussed mainly on fiction. This year I want to add more non-fiction to my list, but also get back to the classics and include other forms of writing - poetry, drama - into the mix.

Happy reading everyone!