Saturday 21 January 2023

Quiet Achiever

The first time I heard of John Williams' novel Stoner (1965) was in an article by Julian Barnes in The Guardian calling it the 'must-read' novel of 2013. It sounded really good, so I bought a copy, plonked it on my shelf, and there it sat for a decade! Every so often I would see it when browsing/dusting my bookshelves and think I should read it, but I always left it for another day. 

Last weekend I was going away and had four-hour train journey each way, so I grabbed Stoner off my shelf, downloaded the audiobook (read brilliantly by Alfred Molina), and enjoyed my weekend with Stoner while journeying across the Australian countryside. 

Stoner is the story of an ordinary man, living an ordinary life. The protagonist William Stoner grows up on an impoverished farm in Missouri. His parents make great sacrifices to send him off to university in the hopes he will learn new agricultural methods to improve the family farm. All students undertake a compulsory literature course, and Stoner's mind is opened by Shakespeare's sonnets. Without telling his family, he changes his major and pursues his passion. 

The novel is primarily set on the campus of the university, where Stoner attends grad school, teaches and becomes a member of the faculty. He is not ambitious for promotion, happy to teach his favourite subjects and supervise doctoral candidates, his entire career. A clash with a colleague propels much of the narrative, and brings forth a fascinating discussion on the role of the academy and the value of literature.

In many ways, Stoner remains still while the world turns around him. During his lifetime, there are two world wars, the great recession, social change, urbanisation. But Stoner remains entirely himself, experiencing the joys and disappointments of life. He is stoic, unadventurous, principled and true to himself.

Williams portrays a man who is held in 'no particular esteem' by colleagues, does not 'rise above the rank of assistant professor' and will be barely remembered by those who knew him. Stoner has dedicated his whole life to his work, often at the expense of his family, and seemingly has little to show for it. Yet there is value and meaning in Stoner's small life, he has contributed in his way. 

Having spent two decades in university completing various undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, I loved the depiction of the academy. The character of Walker, a lazy student who bluffs his way through class, reminds me so much of people I have encountered in my studies. I found myself cheering on Stoner in his campaign against this sort of student.

Written in beautiful yet plain prose, John Williams' novel is one that will stay with me for a long time - especially the final chapter as Stoner reflects on his expectations of life. It is a sad, hopeful, compelling, simple story about love and life.