Monday 1 January 2024

Planning for 2024

 I start the year with a stack of books on my 'To Be Read' Pile including:

  • Alba De Cespedes - The Forbidden Notebook
  • Paddy Manning - The Successor 
  • George Saunders - A Swim in a Pond in the Rain
  • Richard Flanagan - Question 7
  • Sandra Newman - Julia 
  • Zadie Smith - The Fraud
  • Patrick Stewart - Making it So
  • Julia Baird - Bright Shining

I always promise I won't buy any more books until I have read the ones I already have... but that promise never lasts long! I am hoping to make a dent in this pile though, as I am looking forward to each one, and I want to get a start on my reading before award longlists are announced from March.

I am looking forward to a number of new books due to be published in 2024, including:
  • Michael Cunningham - Day (January)
  • Percival Everett - James (March)
  • Tana French - The Hunter (March)
  • Michael Ondaatje - A Year of Last Things (Poems) (March)
  • Judith Butler - Who's Afraid of Gender? (March)
  • Ru Paul Charles - The House of Hidden Meanings: A Memoir (March)
  • Bri Lee - The Work (March)
  • Louise Milligan - Pheasants Nest (March)
  • Salman Rushdie - Knife: Meditations after an attempted murder (April)
  • Colm Tobin - Long Island (a sequel to Brooklyn!) (May)
  • Evie Wyld - The Echoes (August)
  • Tara Moss - Next Billie Walker book 
  • Clare Wright - third instalment of her democracy trilogy
  • Helen Garner - new non-fiction

While I won't get to all of them this year, I have preordered many from my library.

For the past few years I have consistently been able to read at least 30 books a year. While I could push myself by setting a higher goal, I like my 30 book plan. However I will continue to explore new authors, genres and subject matters. To diversify my reading and to challenge myself to read more broadly, I have updated my annual checklist to add some fun to my reading.

Last year I focussed mainly on fiction. This year I want to add more non-fiction to my list, but also get back to the classics and tick off some of the books on my Fifty/Five list. I created that list to read some long desired classics over the next five years. Will 2024 be the year I tackle Proust? 

Happy reading everyone!