Wednesday 24 April 2024

Women's Prize for Fiction Shortlist 2024

  The 2024 Women's Prize shortlist has been announced!  The six titles on the shortlist are:

  • The Wren, The Wren - Anne Enright
  • Brotherless Night - VV Ganeshananthan
  • Restless Dolly Maunder - Kate Grenville
  • Enter Ghost - Isabelle Hammad
  • Soldier Sailor - Claire Kilroy
  • River East, River West - Aube Rey Lescure


Monica Ali, Chair of Judges, said of the shortlist:
This year’s shortlist features six brilliant, thought-provoking and spellbinding novels that between them capture an enormous breadth of the human experience. Readers will be captivated by the characters, the luminous writing and the exquisite storytelling. Each book is gloriously compelling and inventive and lingers in the heart and mind long after the final page.
So far, I have only read Anne Enright's The Wren, The Wren, which I absolutely loved, and definitely reflects Ali's sentiments.

When the Longlist was announced in March, I predicted that Grenville, Hammad, Enright, Kilroy and Maroo would be on the shortlist. So I didn't do too badly with my prediction, getting four of six correct! I am still keen to get my mitts on some more of these titles, and I am really thrilled that Grenville has been shortlisted.

To learn more about these shortlisted titles, there is a summary on each book on my blog, and the judges have released a short video announcing the shortlist below. You can also read interviews with the authors on the Women's Prize website.



The winner will be revealed on 13 June 2024. Better get reading!