Florence Knapp's debut novel The Names (2025) has been a stunning success - a bestseller, translated in over thirty languages, with endorsements from many authors I admire. I purchased a copy early this year, hoping to hear Knapp speak at the 2026 Sydney Writers' Festival, but when she was unable to attend I put book aside and have only just read it. But it was absolutely worth the wait... The Names is an unforgettable novel.
The story begins with Cora and Gordon, a couple living in the UK with their daughter Maia and their infant son. Cora has to go to the registry office to register their son's name. Her husband insists he has to be named Gordon, as all men in the family are named. Cora fears that in inheriting this name, her wee son will also receive her domineering husband's abusive traits. She wants to name him Julian to give him a name of his own which is softer and not burdened by the legacy of his forebears. Nine year old Maia thinks her brother should be called Bear - soft and cuddly but also strong and brave.In a 'sliding doors' style narrative, we are told the life story this boy and his family in each version of his life - as Bear, Julian and Gordon - in alternate chapters in seven year intervals. From his birth in 1987, primary school days in 1994, high school in 2001, young adulthood in 2008, late 20s in 2015, to mid-30s in 2022 during the pandemic. At each point in time we see how this boy's life, and his family's, is shaped by the choice of his name.
This fascinating concept has been executed to perfection by Knapp. In each iteration, Cora's son is a fully formed character impacted by the name he has been given. Each journey offers readers something different, and it is easy to become invested in their stories. Will Cora escape her brutal husband? Will Maia find love? Will Bear/Julian/Gordon be fulfilled? As much as I wanted to race ahead and find out what happened, I also did not want the story to end.
The Names will stay with me for a long time. I highly recommend this novel and reckon it would be great for book clubs as there is plenty to talk about.
