Monday 1 January 2018

Planning for 2018

Each year I like to set aside some time to reflect on my reading habits and prioritise my reading for the coming year.

Two books a month is what I can reasonably achieve given my workload, but to stretch myself I will set a target of 30 books in 2018. And of course I will continue to blog about my reading here.

There are a number of books I have on my bedside and want to read in 2018 including:

  • Manhattan Beach (2017) by Jennifer Egan
  • First Person (2017) by Richard Flanagan 
  • Theft By Finding (2017) by David Sedaris
  • Lincoln in the Bardo (2017) by George Saunders
  • The Book of Dust (2017) by Philip Pullman

Several books I will need to source from libraries and bookstores include:

  • Stories: Collected Short Fiction (2017) by Helen Garner
  • True Stories: Complete Short Non-Fiction (2017) by Helen Garner
  • The Power (2017) by Naomi Alderman
  • Little Fires Everywhere (2017) by Celeste Ng
  • We Are Never Meeting in Real Life (2017) by Samantha Irby (update: read review)
  • Conversations with Friends (2017) by Sally Rooney
  • The Life to Come (2017) by Michelle de Krester
I need to leave room in my reading schedule for new books to be published in 2018, like former Human Rights Commissioner Gillian Triggs' book Speaking Up (due October), Asne Seierstad's Two Sisters (due February), Michael Ondaatje's Warlight (due May), Feel Free: Essays by Zadie Smith (due February), Beautiful Days by Joyce Carol Oates (due February), Tangerine by Christine Mangan (due March) and Meg Wolitzer's The Female Persuasion (due April).

To diversify my reading and to have a bit of fun, I thought I might try some Book Reading Bingo. I made the following Bingo board with the view to expanding my reading horizons. I wonder how many times I can get Bingo before the year is out. Feel free to join in!


BNGO
Adapted into a
Film/TV Show
Biography 
or Memoir
New York Times
Bestseller
Booker Prize
Shortlister
Poetry
Collection
Current Affairs
/ Politics
Set in Space
or at Sea
Pre-20th Century
Classic
Fiction Based
on a True Story
New-To-Me
Author
Short Story
Collection
Published
in 2018
Free Choice Set in the
Future
First Novel
in a Series
Written by a
Nobel Laureate
Mystery or
Crime Novel
Stella Prize
Shortlister
Banned Book 20th Century
Classic
Set during
Wartime
New-To-Me
Genre
Lesser-known Book
by a Famous Author
Essay Collection Book on the
1001 List


Plenty to sink my teeth into here. Let the adventures in reading begin...