Friday 1 January 2021

Planning for 2021

It is the first of January 2021 and as the new year begins I spend time reflecting on my past reading habits, and forward planning for the year ahead. 

As someone who always plans ahead, I even develop a plan for my reading. But if I learned anything from 2020 it is how agile one needs to be to respond to whatever happens on a daily basis. While I have pre-ordered some new releases from the library (like Joan Didion and Joyce Carol Oates), and have acquired a bunch of new books I am keen to sink my teeth in, my plan is not to plan and just see where my moods and interests take me.

I seem to consistently be able to read 30 books each year, but given the uncertainty this pandemic brings, I do not want to increase the volume. Instead I will continue to explore new authors, genres and subject matters. To diversify my reading and to challenge myself to read more fiction, I have created a new Bingo board to add some fun to the challenge.

B
I NGO
Set during
Wartime 
Retelling of 
another story*
 Novel in 
Translation*
Poetry 
Collection
Women's Prize 
Longlister
Lesser known book 
by a Famous Author
Essay
Collection 
Set in the
Future 
Booker Prize 
Longlister
About a non-Western 
world leader* 
Debut 
Novel*
19th Century
Classic  
Published
in 2021 
Biography 
or Memoir
Set in Space
or at Sea
Short Story
Collection
Australian Literary
Prize Longlister
Current Affairs
/ Politics 
Protagonist 
is over 50*
Coming of 
Age Story* 
Pre-19th Century
Classic
First Novel
in a Series
Book on the
1001 List
Fiction Based
on a True Story
Written by a 
male author*

Bingo rules: Books can only be used once, even if they fall into multiple categories. 
Bingo can be achieved horizontally, vertically or diagonally.
*New categories 2021

My cousin Graham and I have been joking about how I only read books by women in 2020. He suggested that 2021 could be my year of reading books by men. That ain't gonna happen, but to overcome the gender bias in my reading, I have added a new category this year: Written by a male author. I do have a few books that I have put aside for 2021 so will just have to decide which one it will be - perhaps Richard Flanagan's Living Sea of Waking Dreams, Philip Pullman's The Secret Commonwealth, Douglas Stuart's Shuggie Bain or Barack Obama's A Promised Land

Happy reading everyone!