Thursday 29 April 2021

Women's Prize Shortlist 2021

 The 2021 Women's Prize shortlist has been announced! 

In March 2021, when the longlist for this year's Women's Prize was announced with 16 nominees,  I predicted that the shortlist would feature Brit Bennett, Raven Leilani, Torrey Peters, Ali Smith and Avni Doshi. Clearly I am terrible with my predictions as I only guessed Bennett correctly!

The 2021 shortlist is as follows:
  • The Vanishing Half - Brit Bennett
  • Piranesi  - Susanna Clarke
  • Unsettled Ground - Claire Fuller
  • Transcendent Kingdom - Yaa Gyasi
  • How the One-Armed Sister Sweeps Her House - Cherie Jones
  • No One is Talking About This - Patricia Lockwood


All the nominated authors are first time nominees, which is lovely as often the shortlist has one or two big names who dominate the coverage, and this year all of these writers will get promotion. I have not read any of these titles, but have Piranesi and The Vanishing Half ready to go when I finish my current novel. 

The winner will be revealed on 8 September 2021. Happy reading!