Friday 30 July 2021

The Labyrinth

Susanna Clarke's Piranesi (2021) takes the reader to a remarkable fantasy world. The 'House' is a labyrinthine series of magnificent halls lined with marble statues of minotaurs, fauns, and other creatures. The top floor of the house is exposed to the weather, and the bottom floor is subject to tides and flooding. 

The main inhabitant is the Beloved Child of the House - Piranesi -  a man who spends his days fishing, gathering mussels and collecting seaweed for sustenance. He writes all that he sees in his journal and has begun creating a catalogue of statues and a map of the House's countless vestibules and halls. Twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays, Piranesi briefly meets with the only living person he knows -  The Other - a peculiar man who is in search of what he calls the 'Great and Secret Knowledge'. 

The story is told in the form of Piranesi's journals, as he describes his days and the discoveries he makes along the way. He comes across as naive yet inquisitive, uncertain as to whether what The Other is telling him is true. When Piranesi finds evidence that someone else may also be in the House, he is compelled to learn more about the mysteries of the House and his own history.

Piranesi is a strange and wonderful novel. I must admit that my first attempt at reading this book failed as I could not connect with the writing. But then I read along with Chiwetel Ejiofor's brilliant audiobook narration and found myself absolutely engrossed in this tale. For the first hundred pages I was completely perplexed but also intrigued by the House and the delightful main character, perhaps relating to his isolation as I am currently in lockdown and confined to my own house. In some respects Piranesi reminded me of the works of CS Lewis or Philip Pullman. 

Clarke is probably best known for her acclaimed debut novel Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (2005). Piranesi was shortlisted for the 2021 Women's Prize and I must admit I am disappointed that it didn't make the longlist for the Booker.  It is a fantastic novel by a gifted writer.