In the first instance, I need to finish books I am currently midway through or decide whether to take them off the pile:
- Women I've Undressed (2015) by Orry Kelly
- Not My Father's Son (2015) by Alan Cumming (update: read review)
- Unfinished Business (2015) by Anne-Marie Slaughter
- Farewell Kabul (2015) by Christina Lamb
Then I have my pile of new books to prioritise and read:
- The Good People (2016) by Hannah Kent (update: read review)
- The Dry (2016) by Jane Harper (update: read review)
- The Sellout (2015) by Paul Beatty
- Fantastic Beasts (2016) by JK Rowling (update: read review)
- The Princess Diarist (2016) by Carrie Fisher (update: read review)
- The North Water (2016) by Ian Maguire (update: read review)
- Commonwealth (2016) by Ann Patchett
- The Pursuit of Love (1945) by Nancy Mitford
I also want to get my hands on Hillbilly Elegy (2016) by JD Vance (update: read review) and White Trash (2016) by Nancy Isenberg so a trip to the library is likely on the cards.
My Random Reads will continue in 2017 as I subscribe to several regular publications including the New York Times, Vanity Fair magazine, and others. It will be an interesting year - with the new US President, Brexit and more unfolding - and it I look forward to reading different views on these activities. Plus I will have my Quarterly Essays to keep me occupied (can't wait for the next David Marr - On Politics and Prejudice!).
Finally, I am travelling to Europe this year and hope to read a few books about places I will be visiting - Berlin, Budapest, Prague, Warsaw, Krakow etc. Top of my list is Graham Greene's The Third Man (1950), set in Vienna. This blog may suffer during the five weeks of holidays (as I will be travel blogging instead) but the reading will continue on planes, trains, boats and buses!
Let the reading begin!